1. Who are eligible under Balikbayan Program?

a. A Balikbayan, who may be either one of the following:

i.   A Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year;

ii.  A Filipino overseas worker;

iii. A former Filipino citizen and his family who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines.

b. Immediate family members (spouse and children) of the Balikbayan, who are nationals of countries falling under EO 408, travelling together with the Balikbayan.

2. Who are not entitled to the Balikbayan privilege?

Former Filipinos and their immediate family members (spouse and children) who are visa-required nationals (nationals of countries NOT listed under EO 408). They must secure entry visas prior to their travel to the Philippines.

3. What are the privileges of a Balikbayan?

Those who are admitted as Balikbayans are given an initial stay of one (1) year. They may extend their stay for another one (1), two (2) or six (6) months provided that they present their valid passport and filled out the visa extension form and submit it to the Visa Extension Section in the BI Main Office or any BI Offices nationwide. An additional requirement will be ask for Balikbayans who have stayed in the Philippines after thirty six (36) months.

4. Can a foreigner spouse or child of a Balikbayan avail this privilege when traveling to the Philippines alone?

A foreign national spouse and/or child of a Balikbayan may only be given the said privilege if he/she is traveling with his/her Balikbayan spouse or parent.

  1. I am an alien whose country has no immigration reciprocity agreement with the Philippines. I am also married to a Filipino. Am I qualified to apply for permanent resident visa?

Since your country does not have reciprocity agreement with the Philippines, you are not qualified to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa. However, you may apply for a Temporary Resident Visa. For more information regarding the said visa, please click here.















  1. I am an alien whose country has an immigration reciprocity agreement with the Philippines. I am also married to a Filipino. Am I qualified to apply for permanent resident visa?

Yes, under the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940, Section 13 (a) you are eligible for permanent residency in the Philippines. This visa is issued to an alien on the basis of his valid marriage to a Philippine citizen.

To qualify for this visa, the applicant must prove that:

  • He contracted a valid marriage with a Philippine citizen.

  • The marriage is recognized as valid under existing Philippine laws.

  • There is no record of any derogatory information against him in any local or foreign law enforcement agency.

  • He is not afflicted with any dangerous, contagious or loathsome disease.

  • He has sufficient financial capacity to support a family and will not become a public burden.

  • He was allowed entry into the Philippines and was authorized by Immigration authorities to stay.

This visa is only available to citizens of a country which grants permanent residence and immigration privileges to Philippine citizens.


  1. What countries have reciprocity agreement with the Philippines?

    The following countries are those that grant permanent residence and immigration privileges to Filipinos:

  1. Algeria*

  2. Argentina

  3. Australia

  4. Austria

  5. Belgium

  6. Belize

  7. Bolivia

  8. Botswana

  9. Bosnia & Herzegovina

  10. Brazil

  11. Canada

  12. Cape Verde

  13. Chile

  14. Colombia

  15. Costa Rica

  16. Croatia

  17. Cuba

  18. Czech Republic

  19. Denmark

  20. Ecuador

  21. Egypt*

  22. El Salvador

  23. Estonia

  24. Finland

  25. Fiji

  26. France

  27. Gabon

  28. Germany

  29. Greece

  30. Guatemala

  31. Honduras

  32. Hongkong SAR

  33. Indonesia*

  34. Iraq

  35. Ireland

  36. Iceland

  37. Israel

  38. Italy

  39. Japan

  40. Latvia

  41. Lesotho

  1. Libya*

  2. Lithuania

  3. Luxembourg

  4. Macau SAR

  5. Malaysia*

  6. Malta**

  7. Marshall Island

  8. Mexico

  9. Micronesia

  10. Monaco

  11. Montenegro

  12. The Netherlands

  13. New Zealand

  14. Nicaragua

  15. Nigeria*

  16. Northern Mariana Island

  17. Norway

  18. Oman*

  19. Papua New Guinea

  20. Paraguay

  21. Peru

  22. Russia

  23. Saudi Arabia*

  24. Senegal

  25. Serbia

  26. Singapore

  27. Slovak Republic

  28. Slovenia

  29. South Africa

  30. Spain

  31. Suriname

  32. Sweden

  33. Switzerland

  34. Thailand

  35. Trinidad and Tobago

  36. Tunisia

  37. Turkey

  38. United Kingdom

  39. Uruguay

  40. USA

  41. Venezuela

*Limited to Filipinas married of these nationals

**Provided that the marriage took place before 24 April 2001 or the couple has been married for at least five years.

  1. I am a foreigner and married to a Filipino. How can I apply for an Immigrant Visa?

If you are a foreign national whose country also grants permanent residence and immigration privileges to Filipinos, under Foreign Service Circular No. 21-10, you may apply for a Non-Quota Immigrant Visa by Marriage to a Filipino Citizen of Section 13 (a) of the Commonwealth Act No. 613 or Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 (PIA).


  1. What are the requirements for an Immigrant Visa by Marriage to a Filipino citizen?

For a concrete list of documentary requirements for application of Non-Quota Immigrant Visa by Marriage to a Filipino Citizen click here.


















Direct Line (+632) 8524-3769
Trunkline (+632) 8465-2400


Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila, Philippines 1002

  • xinfo@immigration.gov.ph
  • immigPH@gmail.com
  • binoc_immigration@hotmail.com

CitizensCharterLogo 001

2021May11 feedBack

Back to Top