POWERS OF AN IMMIGRATION OFFICER
Sec 6. POWERS OF AN IMMIGRATION OFFICER
- Performs the examination of aliens concerning their right to enter or remain in the Philippines with the advice of medical authorities in appropriate cases.
- Authorized to exclude any alien not properly documented as required by this act, admit any alien complying with the applicable provisions of the immigration laws and to enforce the immigration rules and regulations prescribed thereunder. (as amended by rep. Act no. 144)
- Empowered to administer oaths, take and consider evidence concerning the right of any alien to enter or reside in the Philippines, and to go aboard and search for aliens on any vessel or other conveyance in which they believe aliens are being brought into the Philippines.
- Have the power to arrest, without warrant, any alien who in their presence or view is entering or is still in the course of entering the Philippines in violation of the Immigration Laws or Regulations prescribed thereunder. (as amended by republic act 144)
STANDARD OF CONDUCT OF IMMIGRATION OFFICERS
- Every reasonable effort consistent with the requirements of the immigrations laws and regulations should be made.
- In the discharge of their duties they will come in contact with aliens of varying social attainments, often speaking only their native language.
- Should always strive so to appear and conduct themselves as to maintain the dignity of their position.
- Must make themselves thoroughly acquainted with all regulations concerning their work.
DUTIES OF IMMIGRATION OFFICERS
PRIMARY INSPECTION- the examination of the applicant for entry and his documents at the port of entry upon arrival.
- Admit and exclude alien.
- Perform primary inspection.
- Refer to the Board of Special Inquiry in case of doubt as to the admissibility of the alien.
- it cannot be performed by an agent or attorney in behalf of the alien who must be physically present.
- interrogation of each person who seeks ingress,
- learning his identity,
- scrutinizing his documents,
- appraising his admissibility.